Move over man caves and let the ladies have a turn. We’ve cleared out your power tools and turned the backyard shed into a new, feminine retreat. Introducing She Sheds!
What is a She Shed? Anything you want it to be! Women are turning gardening sheds into beautifully designed personal escapes like sitting and dining areas, yoga and art studios, potting and pottery spaces and even reading and brunch spots. Your She Shed can be and look however you want it, and the best part is they’re easy to convert and even easier to switch up regardless of how big or small it is.
Use it as a plush space to read a book, or turn it into a quaint dining area for a girls night in! If you choose to wire it, you can also use it as a place to view your favorite shows and movies or use it as a workspace if you so desire. It can even become a playhouse for you to enjoy and bond with your kids in.
If you’re looking to convert your shed into a She Shed, follow these steps. You can do it yourself or enlist the help of a male in your life—She Sheds aren’t “Girls Only” (unless you want it to be!). You’ll be getting away in your new retreat in no time.
1. Power Wash: Chances are, your shed was underutilized or stored outdoor items which weren’t the cleanest. Start you shed conversion by giving a good, thorough power wash.
2. Add Amenities: Now’s the time to decide what sort of amenities you’ll want in your shed—electric, water, cable. This isn’t a mandatory step, but will make your getaway that much more luxurious if you do it.
3. Add Windows: If your shed is window-less, install one so that you can take advantage of natural light. You may be content by just opening the door, but we recommend a window so that you can keep your retreat private.
4. Flooring: Sheds go from backyard to she-worthy with the floors. Install an easy elevated wood platform if yours rests on earth or consider poured concrete. This step is important to keep your shed hospitable. Plus there are a variety of flooring options you can install over the foundation that will affordably fit in the small square-footage.
5. Decorate as Desired: Now that you’ve transformed your shed into the beginnings of a She Shed, it’s time to let your imagination go wild! Your decorations and design will go with whatever you’ve chosen to use your shed for, but don’t be afraid to be bold! This space is much smaller than a normal room, so you can easily and affordably follow your whimsy where practicality once stood in the way. Use bold colors! Go with a theme! The possibilities are endless.
Do you need help with a home improvement project? Use our instant estimate tool to get a price in seconds and find certified professionals in your area. Get a price. Get a pro. Get it done.